The ElectroMotion ESL (EM-ESL) represents a brave new direction for electrostatic loudspeaker design. Featuring a full-sized 34-inch tall curvilinear XStat™ electrostatic transducer the new ESL performs more like a mini-flagship than an entry level audiophile speaker. The new ESL boasts 40 percent more radiating surface, a superbly integrated and authoritative bass performance, and a sensitivity rated at 91dB. In addition, the ESL is capable of being effortlessly powered by both receivers and high-end amplifiers alike.
ElectroMotion ESL's XStat electrostatic MicroPerf panel is housed within a radical aluminum and composite AirFrame™ similar to those found on MartinLogan's flagship products. AirFrame technology rigidifies the electrostatic panel without obstructing playable surface area or interfering with ambience enriching dipole sound radiation. At the same time, an AirFrame provides electrical and acoustical isolation, minimizing intermodulated distortion caused by vibration and resonance while enhancing imaging, low-level sonic detail, accuracy, and efficiency. MicroPerf design optimizes the individual holes of The EM-ESL's electrostatic panel. MicroPerf design substantially increases diaphragm radiating area, compared to early generations - without compromising structural integrity. The resulting increase in output capability and efficiency allows The EM-ESL's panel to enjoy a substantial leap in bandwidth and dynamics without growing larger. For example, The EM-ESL's XStat electrostatic panel features 129 square inches of sound radiating surface on both the front and back and a sensitivity of 91dB into 6 Ohms.
A unique XStat™ transducer was developed for the ElectroMotion ESL to reduce the gauge thickness of the electrostatic panel's steel stators. The reduced gauge does not alter the performance characteristics of the panel. However, as a natural byproduct of tighter build tolerances, it does increase the visual transparency of the panel. The EM-ESL's new XStat panel is so visually transparent it nearly vanishes when you're sitting and listening.
CLS™ XStat Transducer
One of MartinLogan's original breakthroughs, CLS™ (Curvilinear Line Source) technology, has been an essential ingredient of every electrostatic loudspeaker they have produced - and the ElectroMotion ESL is no exception. Proprietary manufacturing methods enable construction of electrostatic panels as cylindrical sections. Their gentle horizontal curvature solves the problem of obtaining good high-frequency dispersion from a large radiating surface without compromising overall sound quality or reliability.
Made in North America. Priced for a single speaker.
Available in Black or Gloss Black Finish.
- Frequency Response: 42–22,000 Hz ±3dB
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 20—300 watts per channel
- Horizontal Dispersion: 30°
- Vertical Dispersion: 34" (71cm) line source
- Sensitivity: 91 dB/2.83 volts/meter
- Impedance: 6 Ohms, 1.6 @ 20kHz Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.
- Crossover Frequency: 500Hz
- High Frequency Transducer: XStat™ CLS™ electrostaic transducer » Panel Dimensions: 34" x 8.6" (86 x 22cm) » Radiating Area: 292 in² (1,892 cm² )
- Low Frequency Transducer: 8" (20.3cm) high excursion, high-rigidity paper cone with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format; bass reflex
- Components: Custom-wound audio transformer, air core coils, large steel laminate inductors, polyester capacitors, and low DF electrolytic capacitors
- Inputs: Push style with banana jacks
- Weight: 35.5 lbs. (16.1 kg)
- Dimensions: 52.1" x 9" x 16.3 " (132.3cm x 22.9cm x 41.4cm)