The C53 Preamplifier is ready to serve in your home audio system for many years – even decades – all while delivering unmatched audio quality. Following the digital audio precedent set in Mcintosh's current solid state integrated amplifiers, the C53 stereo preamplifier features an upgradeable digital audio module. But unlike McIntosh's integrated amplifiers that use their DA1 Digital Audio Module, the C53 is the first to use McIntosh's new, more advanced DA2 Digital Audio Module.
The DA2 builds upon the DA1 with an expanded set of capabilities. In addition to having all the same connections as the DA1 (2 coaxial, 2 optical, 1 USB and 1 proprietary MCT for use with McIntosh's MCT series of SACD/CD Transports), a new audio-only HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC)1 connection is included on the DA2. This allows it to be connected to TVs with a compatible HDMI (ARC) output to bring your TV sound to a new level of audio performance by listening to it through your home stereo system. Popular multi-channel audio formats from Dolby® and DTS® are supported and will be expertly converted to 2-channel audio for proper playback through the C53. When CEC communication is enabled in both the C53 and your TV, your TV remote can control the power and volume of the C53.
Additionally, the DA2’s USB input can support native playback of up to DSD512, surpassing the DSD256 limit of the DA1. This increased DSD playback support is thanks to the next generation, Quad Balanced, 8-channel, 32-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) that powers the DA2. This audiophile-grade DAC is highlighted by both an improved dynamic range and total harmonic distortion compared to the DA1. The USB input also supports DXD up to 384kHz. The coax and optical inputs can decode digital music up to 24-bit/192kHz for high resolution audio playback. Rounding out the DA2 is an MCT input that offers a secure, custom DSD connection for playback of the high definition audio found on SACDs when paired with our MCT series of SACD/CD Transports to produce the best possible sound quality from your SACD collection.
In addition to the 7 digital inputs found in the DA2 module, the C53 also has 9 analog inputs, giving it a nearly inexhaustible number of 16 total inputs for connecting all your music sources. The analog inputs consist of 3 balanced and 4 unbalanced connections, plus 1 Moving Coil and 1 Moving Magnet phono inputs for plugging in your trusted turntable. Outputs include 3 variable balanced and unbalanced connections along with 1 fixed unbalanced connection.
Tone controls include an 8-band analog equalizer; each band can be adjusted ± 12dB so you can fine tune your music just the way you like. McIntosh's High Drive Headphone Amplifier can power virtually any pair of headphones, while Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®) can bring an added dimension to your music. Home Theater Pass Through lets the C53 be seamlessly integrated into your home theater system. Power Control ports let you easily turn other connected McIntosh components on and off, while the Data Ports can send remote control commands to connected source components.
The C53 is one of many McIntosh products to receive Roon Tested designation from Roon Labs. It has been profiled and tested by both Roon and McIntosh for maximum compatibility. Roon will recognize it and send it audio optimized for its capabilities. No fiddling with checkboxes or dropdowns, Roon Tested devices are automatically identified and configured out of the box for a superior customer experience.
All this audio technology is packaged inside the C53’s classic McIntosh design featuring a black glass front panel backlit by direct LED lighting, blue meters, rotary knobs, an illuminated logo and aluminum end caps. An attractive polished stainless steel chassis finishes the distinguished look. It can be paired with an assortment of amplifiers, CD players, turntables, tuners, media streamers, room correction devices and speakers to complete your home audio system.
- Number of Channels: 2
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005%
- Frequency Response: +0, -0.5dB from 20Hz to 20kHz, +0, -3dB from 15Hz to 100kHz
- Maximum Volts Out (Balanced / Unbalanced): 16V RMS / 8V RMS
- Sensitivity High Level (Balanced / Unbalanced): 900mV / 450mV
- Sensitivity Phono (Moving Coil): 0.45mV
- Sensitivity Phono (Moving Magnet): 4.5mV
- Signal To Noise Ratio (High Level): 100dB
- Signal To Noise Ratio (Moving Coil): 80dB
- Signal To Noise Ratio (Moving Magnet): 82dB
- Voltage Gain (High Level): 15dB
- Voltage Gain (Moving Coil): 60dB
- Voltage Gain (Moving Magnet): 40dB
- Input Impedance (Balanced / Unbalanced): 44K ohm, 22K ohm
- Balanced Input: 3
- Unbalanced Input: 4
- Phono Input Moving Coil: 1 (adjustable)
- Phono Input Moving Magnet: 1 (adjustable)
- Upgradeable Digital Audio Module: Yes: DA2
- Digital Coaxial Input: 2
- Digital Optical Input: 2
- Digital MCT (DIN) Input: 1
- Digital USB Input: 1
- HDMI (ARC) Input: 1
- Digital AES/EBU Input: 0
- Balanced Fixed Output: 0
- Balanced Variable Output: 3
- Unbalanced Fixed Output: 1
- Unbalanced Variable Output: 3
- Headphone Output: 1/4" High Drive with Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®)
- Input Level Match: Yes, +/- 6dB
- Home Theater PassThru: Yes
- Unbalanced Analog Connector Type: Premium gold-plated solid brass
- Service Port: 1
- Tone Controls: 8 band (each band adjustable ± 12dB )
- Tone Bypass and Input Assign: Yes
- RS232 Control Input: Yes
- Power Control Output: 1 Main, 4 Trigger
- Rear Panel Data Port: 6
- Rear Panel IR Sensor Input: Yes
- Multi-Chassis or Single: Single, two layer
- Output Meters: Yes
- Vacuum Tube or Solid State: Solid State
- Power Consumption (On): 30 Watts
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 17.5" (44.45cm) x 7.6" (19.37cm) x 18" (45.72cm)
- Weight: 28 lbs (12.5 kg)