Playback Designs MPS-X Digital Front End Streamer
The purpose of the MPS-X is to separate digital sources from the sensitive circuits of the DAC.
For this it uses:
- PLINK, a high quality and proprietary fiber optical link to the DAC for galvanic separation. PLINK supports all sample rates for PCM and DSD natively.
- PDFAS, a proprietary technology to buffer all digital inputs and dramatically reduce any
- clock jitter. While all our products have this technology already built in, adding a second
- layer in the MPS-X increases the sonic performance even more.
- Separate chassis with high quality linear power supply for physical separation
In addition the MPS-X provides streaming connections from the internet and network attached storage, carefully removes any incoming jitter by Playback Designs’ proprietary clocking and buffering system and then encodes all data natively to either the standard Coax, AES outputs or the Playback Designs proprietary PLINK output.
The concept behind the MPS-X interface is to connect digital sources such as computers, servers, network attached storage, internet streaming services and any other digital source to it rather than directly to the sensitive DAC. It is well known that these digital sources carry a significant amount of digital and sometimes also mechanical noise, such as clock jitter, asynchronous clocks in power supplies and processors, vibration etc.
Connecting these sources to a separate box that is then connected to the DAC with a fiber optical link with a high bandwidth and low jitter specification results in the best possible separation between digital source and analog audio circuitry. This physical and galvanic separation results in a dramatic sonic improvement when compared to a direct connection to the DAC via for instance USB.
And it doesn’t stop there. The MPS-X has the same sophisticated clock generator and jitter filter built in as any other Playback Designs product. So by connecting your digital sources to the MPS-X and connecting the MPS-X via PLINK to the Playback Designs DAC the audio signal is filtered (without altering bits), buffered and cleaned twice, once by the MPS-X and once by the DAC, both separated by a high quality fiber optical link, PLINK.
- Digital Inputs:
- USB (PCM up to 384kHz, DSD up to 11.2MHz)
- Streaming (Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, vTuner, NAS)
- PLINK for all native sample rates, supports recording
- AES (PCM up to 192kHz, DSD via DoP)
- Coax (PCM up to 192kHz, DSD via DoP)
- TosLink (PCM up to 96kHz)
- Digital Outputs:
- Clock Generator: Newest generation PDFAS clocking technology for ultra low jitter performance
- Weight: 9 kgs. / 19.8 lbs.
- Software update Firmware upgradeable by end user