Mass-Loaded High-End Turntable with True Balanced Connection - The X8 - Xtension 9 and 10 within reach.
The X8 is Pro-ject Audio's most affordable mass-loaded turntable yet. Positioned neatly between the X2 and Xtension 9, the X8 adopts and breaks down its bigger siblings' features to make mass-loaded high-end design principles as accessible as never before.
Massive 5.1kg platter
The X8 offers a heavy, TPE damped mass-loaded platter precision lathed from a single aluminium block and finely balanced. On the Xtension 9 and 10 you cannot really play around with using different mats due to the glued on vinyl top. The X8 comes with a standard felt mat, also allowing you to experiment with different material mats in the future and tailor the sound to your taste.
Ceramic tipped, magnetically supported inverted bearing
A neodymium magnet decreases the load on the ceramic tipped bearing. Considering the massively heavy platter, this leads to a smoothly rotating base for your vinyl records and perfect speed stability.
The X8 inherited the massive MDF chassis and the top-of-the-line Pro-Ject 9cc EVO carbon tonearm from its larger siblings. The height-adjustable X8 features machined aluminium feet. The TPE damping technology in the feet effectively decouples the X8 from the surface it is placed on. The feet are a great choice for a more budget orientated turntable as they are faster and easier to set up than magnetic feet on the X9/10, and also require less maintenance.
True Balanced Connection
Pro-ject is launching a whole line of new “True Balanced Connection” components that feature a balanced connection for your phono setup. The X8 is their first turntable to feature this new phono technology.
Turntables look back on a long history. Over time, many things have changed, not only from technical possibilities, but also from the environment. Wireless networks are omni present and countless electronic devices make your home „smarter“. This means there are now a lot of additional electromagnetic fields, which could interfere with your turntable‘s signal. This was simply not the case 30 years ago. To ensure the best connection to your phono preamplifier we designed our „True Balanced Connection“.
What's True Balanced?
Balanced audio connections are usually known from the professional sector like recording studios or live concerts. It is very important to have a stable & interference free connection, as these signals will be highly amplified. The same applies to the connection from your turntable to the phono preamplifier. The big advantage of a balanced connection is its ability to remove picked up noise and interferences. And best of all, cartridges by nature are already balanced signal transducers! With True Balanced your are simply using everything, literally everything, that your cartridge is picking up from the record groove. You are not throwing away half of the usable signal, like is done in typical single-ended RCA phono connections.
The X8 comes with a 5pin output jack and with our standard semi-balanced Connect it Phono E 5P -> RCA cable. By upgrading it to their fully balanced 5P to XLR version (available separately) and using a balanced phono stage, like the Phono Box DS3 B or any of our RS/RS2 phono stages, you are fully set-up for the True Balanced experience. This leads to increased dynamics, less noise and improved signal to noise ratios. You can imagine it, like hearing parts of your music that literally were not there before.
Unleash the full potential! Upgrade your phono cable to a Connect it Phono CC 5P/XLR for a True Balanced Connection to our Phono Box RS2 or our new Phono Box DS3 B.
A New Access to High-End
- Mass-loaded platter - 5.1kg heavy - TPE damped, mass-loaded platter precision lathed from a single aluminium block and finely balanced.
- Inverted bearing - Stainless Steel Spindle - The inverted platter bearing is supported by a neodymium magnet that decreases the load on the ceramic tipped bearing.
- Mass-loaded Chassis - Carbon tonearm - The X8 inherited the massive MDF chassis and the top-of-the-line Pro-Ject 9cc EVO carbon tonearm from its larger siblings.
- Metal Feet - Damped & height adjustable - The three height adjustable damped aluminium feet guarantee the perfect stand & massively reduce risk of acoustical feedback.
- 33/45 RPM - Precision controlled - Switch speeds at the push of a button and enjoy stable and accurate speeds due to the built in electronic speed control.
- True Balanced - Unleash the full power - The X8 is ready for Pro-Ject's new True Balanced Connection. Single-ended RCA connections, quite literally, only use half of your cartridge's output.
- Handmade in EU - Since 1991 - Made in Europe by a turntable factory with decades of experience. Expert craftsmanship dwells deep within the X8.
- Speed: 33, 45 (electronic speed change)
- Drive Principle: belt drive
- Included Phono Cable: Connect it E 5P -> RCA, 1.23m
- Aluminium Feet: Height adjustable & TPE damped
- Cartridge: Ortofon Quinted Blue MC
- Platter: massive 5,1 kg lathed aluminium & TPE damped
- Platter Bearing: inverted with ceramic ball tips and magnetic support
- Wow & Flutter: 33: ±0,11%; 45: ± 0,10%
- Speed Drift: 33: ±0,11%; 45: ± 0,09%
- Signal to Noise: 73dB
- Tonearm: 9“ one-piece carbon-fibre tonearm
- Effective Arm Length / mass:9“ (230 mm) / 8,5 g
- Overhang: 18mm
- Included Accessories: 15V DC / 0,8A power supply, dust cover, 7“ single adapter, felt mat, phono cable
- Power Consumption: 5W / 0,3 W standby mode
- Dimensions Lid Closed: 465 x 150 x 350 mm (W x H x D)
- Dimensions Lid Opened: 465 x 415 x 420 mm (W x H x D)
- Weight: 15kg
Available in High Gloss Black, or Walnut Finish. This is a Special Order item. Cartridge not included. Please see ordering options.