Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Moving Coil Phono Cartridge
The MC Windfeld Ti replaces the original MC Windfeld in Ortofon's Exclusive Series of products, providing a series of improvements that enhance the technical and sound performance abilities of this popular high-end offering.
The MC Windfeld Ti is a moving coil (MC) phono cartridge built into a new and improved cartridge body. Sharing obvious similarities with the high-end Cadenza Series, the central band of the MC Windfeld Ti body is made using a revolutionary Selective Laser Melting (SLM) manufacturing technology, also used by Ortofon on the flagship MC Anna cartridge. The technology uses Titanium to increase the overall rigidity of the cartridge body, eliminating unwanted vibrations within the cartridge and increasing the dynamic capability.
Inside the MC Windfeld Ti, Ortofon employ a series of advanced technologies – many developed entirely in-house – to deliver a true high-end performance...
Like the flagship MC Anna cartridge, the MC Windfeld Ti makes use of “the finest diamond in the world”. The Ortofon Replicant 100 boasts a thin and light profile with an impressively long vertical contact surface, making it as close as possible to an original record cutting stylus. By specially polishing the stylus and then mounting it onto a boron cantilever, the cartridge can offer remarkable transparency, speed, and responsiveness beyond that of any other combination.
The stylus and cantilever are connected into a compact, lightweight generator system based around a powerful neodymium magnet and Ortofon's Aucurum 6NX oxygen-free copper coil wire. The specially designed armature used inside the system has low magnetic properties for uninhibited tracking of the cantilever’s movements. An additional Field-Stabilizing Element (FSE) is also placed inside the system to prevent the magnetic field from fluctuating, which allows for improved channel separation, zero transmission loss and greater sound-staging with more space between the performers.
The cantilever also passes through a suspension system aided by Ortofon’s Wide Range Damping (WRD) system, in which a small, heavy platinum disc is sandwiched between two rubber absorbers with different properties for exceptional tracking performance and perfect damping throughout the frequency range. The result is a distortion-free performance with an exceptionally linear frequency response.
Thanks to these advanced properties, the MC Windfeld Ti is a cartridge that delivers a lifelike, dynamic and open sound with exceedingly clear midrange. Yet even though it retrieves the finest micro-dynamic details, the whole performance is delivered in a delicate, extremely musical tone.
Installation is made easy thanks to the clear markings on the cartridge rear, and the body’s unique shape on the top panel creates a rigid, three-point contact with the tonearm for perfect mechanical integration. The optimized weight (11g) and moderate compliance (13μm) makes the MC Windfeld Ti compatible with a wide variety of high-end tonearms. Similarly, the low output impedance (7Ω) and moderate output voltage (0.2mV) makes the cartridge compatible with a wide variety of MC pre-amps and step-up transformers.
On top of the advanced mechanical design, the MC Windfeld Ti has also been engineered to look visually appealing. The matte-black housing sits either side of the titanium core, and is accented on one side with Per Windfeld’s characteristic initials, including a new “Ti” extension to signify the latest technical developments.
When connected into the right system, the MC Windfeld Ti will sing like nothing you’ve heard before for the price, with a level of detail and musicality that will make for many happy hours of vinyl playback.
- Improved version of the original MC Windfeld cartridge
- Designed to honour the ex-chief engineer of Ortofon, Per Windfeld
- New SLM Titanium core in the centre of the cartridge body
- Titanium increases rigidity, reduces resonance and improves dynamics
- Easily works with a wide variety of high-end turntable equipment
- Flagship Ortofon Replicant 100 Stylus mounted onto Boron cantilever
- Compact generator system with strong neodymium magnet and FSE
- Wide Range Damping (WRD) system built into suspension
- Coil system made from Ortofon's Aucurum 6NX oxygen-free copper
- Zero transmission loss
- Exceptional sound performance with clarity and musicality
- Output Voltage (at 1kHz, 5cm/sec): 0.3mV
- Channel Balance at 1kHz: < 0.2dB
- Channel Separation at 1kHz: > 28dB
- Channel Separation at 15kHz: > 22dB
- Frequency Range (at -3dB): 10 Hz - 80kHz
- Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz: ± 1dB
- Tracking Ability at 315Hz: Typically 100μm
- Compliance, Dynamic, Lateral: 16μm / mN
- Stylus Type: Nude Ortofon Replicant 100, Special Polished Version
- Cantilever: Boron
- Stylus Tip Radius r / R: 5 / 100μm
- Tracking Force Range: 2.3 - 2.8g (23 - 28mN)
- Recommended Tracking Force: 2.6g (26mN)
- Tracking Angle: 23º
- Internal Impedance / DC Resistance: 4Ω
- Recommended Load Impedance: > 10Ω
- Cartridge Body Material: Stainless Steel with a Special Alloy
- Cartridge Colour: Black / Black
- Cartridge Weight: 13.0g