Ortofon 2M Red Verso Moving Magnet Phono Cartridge
The Ortofon 2M magnetic cartridge system is designed and developed for high performance reproduction of your favorite analogue records. Ortofon has developed magnetic cartridges in various designs for many types of record players, tone arms and for special purposes throughout the last 40 years.
2M is developed together with the Danish designer "MøllerJensen Design" from Copenhagen, Denmark - the same designer who designed the award winning cartridge MC Jubilee and the Kontrapunkt series. The inspiration for designing the 2M was related to the facets of the diamond - elegantly concentrating its contours against the grooves on the record surface. The name 2M was selected among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name which would be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet. They are using the same names on their 2M series as on their Rondo series: Red, Blue and Bronze. 2M was the last product of their former chief engineer Per Windfield. He has worked with the 2M for the last two years.
The 2M Technology
2M are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Ortofon's philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound. They have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, weight and size to fit the most common turntables at the market today. All of the 2M cartridges feature diamonds which are polished to the highest standards in the industry. The 2M Red features a tipped elliptical diamond. The 2M series has interchangeable stylus units and replacement stylus is available.
To obtain a flat frequency response as with a Moving Coil cartridge they are using the slit pole pins to reduce the eddy current. The slit pole pins is an Ortofon invention which was presented in the 500 series and the Super OM series. The 2M Red and 2M Blue both have the same engine with slit pole pins. With this improved engine they have been able to increase to output to 5,5 mV.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.: 5.5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: 1.5 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz: 22 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB: 20-22.000 Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 70 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 20 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Elliptical
- Stylus tip radius: r/R 8/18 µm
- Tracking force range: 1,6-2,0g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended: 1.8 g (18 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 1.3 kOhm
- Internal inductance: 700 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
- Cartridge weight: 7.2g