The 2M Series of cartridges is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Ortofon's philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. They wanted a modern name that would be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
The 2M series of cartridges feature Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention that enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response, as with a moving coil cartridge. Split pole pins were invented by Ortofon, and were originally presented in the 500 series and Super OM series.
They have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, weight and size to fit the most common turntables at the market today. 2M Series provides excellent compatibility in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
The 2M Mono Series features:
- An improved engine, which provides a high level of sonic accuracy
- R 18µm Nude Spherical stylus that is an optimal solution for playing mono microgroove vinyl records
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec: 4 mV
- Frequency range at - 3dB: 20-22.000 Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz: 70 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 18 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Nude Spherical
- Stylus tip radius: R 18 µm
- Tracking force range: 1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended: 1.8 g (18 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 700 Ohm
- Internal inductance: 350 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
- Cartridge weight without screws 7.2 g
- Replacement stylus unit: 2M Mono
- Stylus protection guard: 2M Mono