The Ortofon 2M magnetic cartridge system is designed and developed for high performance reproduction of your favorite analogue records. Ortofon has developed magnetic cartridges in various designs for many types of record players, tone arms and for special purposes throughout the last 40 years.
2M is developed together with the Danish designer "MøllerJensen Design" from Copenhagen, Denmark - the same designer who designed the award winning cartridge MC Jubilee and the Kontrapunkt series. The inspiration for designing the 2M was related to the facets of the diamond - elegantly concentrating its contours against the grooves on the record surface. The name 2M was selected among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name which would be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet. They are using the same names on their 2M series as on their Rondo series: Red, Blue and Bronze. 2M was the last product of our former chief engineer Per Windfield. He has worked with the 2M for the last two years.
The 2M Technology
2M are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Ortofon's philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound. They have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, weight and size to fit the most common turntables at the market today. All of the 2M cartridges feature diamonds which are polished to the highest standards in the industry. The 2M Bronze features a nude Fine Line diamond stylus, which is particularly suited for demanding applications. The slim profile of the Fine Line stylus will track even the highest frequency information, making it a must for discerning listeners. Additionally, its larger footprint ensures reduced distortion and record wear. The 2M series has interchangeable stylus units and replacement stylus is available.
To obtain a flat frequency response as with a Moving Coil cartridge they are using the slit pole pins to reduce the eddy current. The slit pole pins is an Ortofon invention which was presented in the 500 series and the Super OM series. The cartridge body used for the 2M Bronze and 2M Black is manufactured from a newly-developed Noryl plastic/glass combination, a revolutionary material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances. The 2M Bronze and 2M Black use a special upgraded engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz 1 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz 26 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB 20-29.000 Hz
- Frequency response 20-20.000 + 2 / - 0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type Nude Fine Line
- Stylus tip radius r/R 8/40 µm
- Tracking force range 1,4-1,7g (14-17 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended 1,5 g (15 mN)
- Tracking angle 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance 1,2 kOhm
- Internal inductance 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus Black/Bronze
- Cartridge weight 7.2 g
- Replacement stylus unit 2M Bronze