In 1965, the Thorens TD 150, an inconspicuous little turntable, came on the market and thus started a technical revolution in record player manufacturing. For the first time, a spring-suspended sub-chassis with an inner platter driven by a flat belt was used in a mass-produced unit. The principle proved to be very successful and found many imitators in the years since.
Like its famous predecessor, the new Thorens TD 1500, which will be operated purely manually, features a sub-chassis that decouples the turntable and tonearm shelf from the motor and frame by means of three conical springs. In contrast to the TD 150, these springs can be adjusted from above through corresponding holes in the platter, which makes correct adjustment much easier.
The speed of the DC motor is electronically monitored by an incremental encoder and deviations, e.g. caused by a broom, are automatically corrected. This also enables very good wow and flutter values.
As a real unique selling point in its class, the TD 1500 has XLR outputs in addition to the usual pair of RCA jacks, thus enabling true balanced operation with a suitable MC cartridge.
Newly developed Thorens TP 150 tonearm
The new TP 150 tonearm is similar to the TP 124 used on the new TD 124 DD. It has an effective mass of 14 grams, is adjustable in height and azimuth and is equipped with a standard SME connector, so headshells can easily be switched or other cartridges mounted. The anti-skating is set by a sliding weight in the base of the arm, which is adjusted on a nylon thread guided over a ruby bearing.
A high-quality and pre-adjusted 2M Bronze pickup from the Danish pickup specialist Ortofon, is also supplied as standard. This proves to be a perfect playing partner due to its naked diamond with Fine Line cut.
Available in Black High Gloss or Walnut High Gloss Finish.
- Sub-chassis with three conical springs
- Belt drive with polished precision belt
- Massive 1.4 kg and 22mm-thick Die-cast aluminum platter
- Pre-installed cartridge Ortofon 2 M Bronze
- Electronical controlled motor
- balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) output
- Thorens precision tonearm TP 150
- Function: manual turntable with sub-chasssis
- Drive system: Belt drive
- Motor: incremental encoder controlled and stabilized DC motor
- Speeds: 33-1/3, 45 rpm.
- Speed select: electronical
- Platter: 12“ / 1,4 kg Die-cast aluminum platter with 22 mm hight
- Tonearm: Thorens TP 150 with SME headshell
- Cartridge: Ortofon 2 M Bronze with nude fine line stylus
- Anti-Skating: anti-skating weight, which is adjusted on a nylon thread guided over a ruby bearing
- Shut off: -
- Outputs: RCA / balanced XLR
- Power supply: external 12 V power supply
- Dimensions: 420 x 150 x 360 mm (W x H x D)
- Weight: 7.9 kg
- Scope of delivery: Power Supply, dust cover