The MHA200 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier is designed for discerning headphone enthusiasts who demand the most from their headphones. Its versatile set of connectivity options, including balanced inputs and outputs, allows for nearly all headphone types to be connected to enjoy an extraordinary personal listening experience.
A pair of 12AT7 and 12BH7A dual triode vacuum tubes power the compact MHA200. The 12AT7 vacuum tubes amplify the incoming audio signal while the 12BH7A tubes provide the power to drive the output to your headphones with low distortion. The MHA200 uses a pair of McIntosh's Unity Coupled Circuit output transformers to deliver pristine audio to your ears. Their Unity Coupled Circuit is the same technology McIntosh was founded on in 1949 and is still used in their vaunted full-size home audio vacuum tube amplifiers such as the timeless MC275 and the more recent MC1502. Indeed, the MHA200 shares many physical design traits with the aforementioned vacuum tube amplifiers.
A wide assortment of connectivity options come on the MHA200. For attaching your headphones, there are 3 options: a pair of 3-pin balanced XLR connectors for dedicated Left and Right balanced output; a 4-pin balanced XLR connector for balanced stereo output; and a 1/4" stereo headphone jack.
For connecting the MHA200 to your home music system's source components, it has 1 set each of both balanced and unbalanced inputs. Thanks to the MHA200's small size of just 6-1/8" (15.6cm) wide x 9-1/8" (23.2cm) deep and its balanced inputs, it can be placed close to your listening position for ease use, with long balanced audio cables connecting it to your audio system without fear of signal loss.
The MHA200 takes advantage of unique McIntosh technologies to create the best possible personal listening experience. The Unity Coupled Circuit transformers have been adapted to produce 4 headphone impedance ranges of 32 – 100, 100 – 250, 250 – 600, and 600 – 1,000 Ohms at 500mW so that virtually every headphone can receive legendary McIntosh sound quality and performance.
McIntosh custom designed and manufactured the output transformers to match the tube amplifier section to the headphone output section in order to ensure maximum power transfer for various headphone loads. Instead of having to adapt to the impedance of the headphones with voltage gain in the input stage, the Unity Coupled Circuit output transformers' secondary windings ensure the full power of the MHA200 is available regardless of the impedance of your headphones. A custom, high-performance, and highly efficient toroidal power transformer with low mechanical hum and a low magnetic field, which helps reduce electrical noise, provides clean power to the amplifier.
You can select the best impedance range for your headphones via the LOAD knob. The VOLUME knob allows the MHA200 to be connected directly to music sources that only have a fixed volume output without needing a preamplifier for volume control. Conversely, if you're using a component with variable volume output, then the VOLUME knob should be set to the center Unity Gain point and the volume controlled by the variable output component.
The MHA200 features a custom formed stainless steel chassis with a polished mirror finish that will accentuate the glow of the vacuum tubes, making it a statement piece to display in your home and to use with pride. A vintage die cast aluminum McIntosh name badge adorns the side of the MHA200. A Power Control input and output allows the MHA200 to turn on and off with other connected McIntosh components, such as preamplifiers, CD players, turntables, or media steamers. A protective vacuum tube cover is included.
- Headphone Power Output: 500mW
- Headphone Output Impedance:
- 32-100 Ohms
- 100-250 Ohms
- 250-600 Ohms
- 600-1,000 Ohms
- Power Output per Channel: N/A
- Speaker Impedance: N/A
- Rated Power Band: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.5%
- Intermodulation Distortion: 0.04% Typical, 0.4% Maximum
- Dynamic Headroom: 1.5dB
- Frequency Response: +0, -0.5dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Sensitivity (Unbalanced): 1.0 Vrms
- Sensitivity (Balanced): 2.0 Vrms
- Maximum Input Signal (Unbalanced): 8V
- Maximum Input Signal (Balanced): 16V
- Signal To Noise Ratio: 94dB
- Input Impedance (Balanced / Unbalanced): 20K/10K
- Damping Factor: >150
- Preamplifier Output: N/A
- Preamplifier Output Impedance: N/A
- Voltage Gain:
- 12dB at 32 Ohms
- 17dB at 100 Ohms
- 21dB at 250 Ohms
- 25dB at 600 Ohms
- Power Guard: No
- Headphone Output:
- One pair of 3-pin balanced XLR connectors for dedicated Left and Right balanced output;
- One 4-pin balanced XLR connector for balanced stereo output;
- One 1/4" stereo headphone jack
- Balanced Input: 1
- Unbalanced Input: 1
- Digital AES/EBU Input: 0
- Digital Coaxial Input: 0
- Digital Optical Input: 0
- Digital MCT (DIN) Input: 0
- Digital USB Input: 0
- Preamplifier Output: 0
Digital Audio Specifications:
- Digital AES/EDU Input Sample Rate: N/A
- Digital Coaxial Input Sample Rate: N/A
- Digital Optical Input Sample Rate: N/A
- Digital MCT (DIN) Input Sample Rate: N/A
- Digital USB Input Sample Rate: N/A
- Tone Controls: No
- Power Control Input: 1
- Power Control Output: 1
- Output Meters: No
- Vacuum Tube or Solid State: Vacuum Tube
- Power Requirement: 120V 50/60Hz, 1.5A
- Standby Power Requirement: <0.5 Watts
- Output Type: Unity Coupled Output Transformer
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 6-1/8" (15.6cm) x 5-3/4" (14.6cm) x 9-1/8" (23.2cm)
- Weight: 10.5 lbs (4.8 kg)