This product has been designed for ultra high end performance. Its architecture is specifically designed to eliminate and isolate anything that might hurt its analog performance. For instance, left and right output channels are built on separate circuit boards with completely separated power supplies. All digital input signals are filtered, cleaned and processed with Playback Designs’ proprietary algorithms to keep any negative influences away from the hyper sensitive DAC. Special care has been given to the design of the clock generator to make sure it is not exposed to any potentially harmful influences from external sources.
The MPD-8 is the companion DAC product for the MPT-8 transport which is designed to further isolate the MPD-8 DAC from the influences of digital sources by connecting to the DAC via a proprietary fiber optical link with galvanic separation (PLINK). As we all know too well, digital sources bring various degrees of “pollution” in form of correlated clock jitter, asynchronous clocks (disk drives, CPU, displays etc) and many other negative effects. When these sources are connected directly to the DAC, there is always the chance for some of this “pollution” reaching the analog circuitry of the DAC. However, with the MPT-8 receiving and processing all digital sources and then sending a cleaned up digital stream to the MPD-8 via a completely galvanically isolated link, Playback Designs' proprietary fiber optical cable (PLINK), the MPD-8 is left alone performing what it is designed for: converting digital signals to super high end analog.
However, the MPD-8 is also equipped with a series of common digital inputs so that it can serve as a stand-alone DAC with any other digital source as well. These inputs are automatically switched off internally if not selected to prevent any negative effect of asynchronous data streams from reaching the DAC.
- Digital Inputs:
- USB (PCM up to 384kHz, DSD up to 11.2MHz) AES (PCM up to 192kHz, DSD via DoP)
- Coax (PCM up to 192kHz, DSD via DoP) TosLink (PCM up to 96kHz)
- PLINK optical (PCM up to 384kHz, DSD up to 11.2MHz)
- PLINK optical (reserved for direct connection of MPT-8 transport)
- Analog Outputs:
- Balanced on XLR connectors
- Unbalanced on RCA connectors
- Both analog outputs can be set to fixed values of -6db, -3db, 0db, +3db, +6db and variable for full analog volume control.
- DAC Architecture: Discrete with Playback Designs’ own proprietary digital algorithms and dual differential analog output stage. Each analog output stage (for each channel) is completely separated on its own printed circuit board with its own independent linear power supply for maximum performance.
- Volume Control: An ultra high end analog volume control can be activated for each channel.
- Software Update: Playback Designs already created an excellent reputation with its program to offer free software upgrades with new features or new algorithms that the end user can upload into the DAC without the need to return it to the dealer or manufacturer. This will keep the product always up-to-date with the latest trends and, therefore, will help in keeping the value high for this product.
- Remote Control: A hand-held IR control set is provided in a sleek case with lit buttons. The MPD-8 is also equipped with a network interface for remote control via networked apps (future expansion).
- Weight: 42 lbs. / 19 kgs.