Ortofon's new 2M PNP headshell is a practical and elegant solution for those who wish direct and easy mounting and replacement on their tonearm. This "plug n' play" option makes changing your cartridge a snap.
The flagship Ortofon 2M PNP Black utilizes a Shibata stylus (usually not found on cartridges any where near this price). With a heavily upgraded generator and a proprietary body material, the 2M PNP Black is exceedingly fast, detailed yet supremely musical. The 2M series of cartridges feature Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention which enables moving magnet cartridges to have flat frequency response, just like a moving coil cartridge. Ortofon invented the Split pole pin technology and were originally offered in the 500 series and Super OM series.
The 2M series was developed in conjunction with Danish designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award winning MC Jubilee and very successful Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality.
The 2M series is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Ortofon's philosophy is to make cartridges which reproduce the record grooves as accurately as possible, without coloring the sound. The 2M series design has been optimized for ease of mounting and their weight and size fit virtually any current turntable.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name which would be both easy to pronounce and to remember, therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. Mathematically 2M can be also represented as MM, which also happens to be the abbreviation for moving magnet.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz 1 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz 26 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB 20-31.000 Hz
- Frequency response 20-20.000 + 2 / - 0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type Nude Shibata
- Stylus tip radius r/R 6/50 µm
- Tracking force range 1.4-1.7g (14-17 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended 1.5 g (15 mN)
- Tracking angle 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance 1.2 kOhm
- Internal inductance 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus Black/Black
- Cartridge & headshell combined weight: 22 g
- Replacement stylus unit 2M Black