This is the flagship of the Motion Series. It's a powerful floorstanding loudspeaker featuring a Folded Motion® XT tweeter, 6.5-inch aluminum cone midrange driver, dual 8-inch aluminum cone woofers with rear-firing bass ports, and a proprietary Vojtko crossover network. XT stands for extreme: lifelike details from the lightning-fast Folded Motion XT tweeter, open and authentic midrange performance, coupled with deep, musical bass response. These classic performance technologies have been enhanced by the slightest of modifications, including the drive-stabilizing dust cap design, stiffened motor suspension, and low-mounted woofers to reduce an acoustically harmful phenomenon known as floor bounce. The speaker's enclosure sports increased internal bracing, a reinforced baffle, and a fabric grille.
Engineering, Without Compromises
What makes the Motion Series sound so amazing? MartinLogan's dedicated in-house engineering and design team started by utilizing and refining the most advanced, compact technologies and combining them with innovative engineering and time-honored cabinet construction techniques. The result is an emotionally engaging sound that rivals (and most times trounces) traditional loudspeakers of similar size and price.
Sound Inspired by Electrostatic Speakers
The success of the Motion Series is directly attributed to its close relation to MartinLogan’s legendary ultra-high-end electrostatic loudspeakers. The desire to transmute that level of performance into a more traditional loudspeaker at a more affordable price drove the initial design imperatives that created the Motion Series.
Folded Motion® XT Tweeters
MartinLogan's signature Folded Motion tweeter utilizes an extremely low mass diaphragm that "squeezes" air, thus demanding significantly less excursion than the typical 1-inch dome tweeter. Its folded design allows for a much larger surface area (compared to that of a regular 1-inch dome tweeter), controlled dispersion characteristics, and vanishingly low distortion. It's a miracle of audio engineering that's able to deliver much of the high-frequency detail and speed of a large, dynamic electrostatic panel in a small space. Folded Motion XT tweeters, advanced thin-film transducer technology even further, with a 40% larger radiating surface and 80x30-degree controlled dispersion. This tweak increases audible bandwidth without sacrificing details and minimizes distortion to an unprecedented level while increasing efficiency and the tweeter's already lightning-fast response time. The result—superior realism and alarming specificity is aurally astounding, and only by MartinLogan.
Made in North America. Priced for a single speaker.
Available in Gloss Black, Red Walnut or Matte White Finish.
- Frequency Response: 35–25,000 Hz ±3dB
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 20—400 watts per channel
- Horizontal Dispersion: 80°
- Vertical Dispersion: 30°
- Sensitivity: 94 dB/2.83 volts/meter
- Impedance: 4 Ohms Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.
- Crossover Frequency: 400 & 2,200 Hz
- High Frequency Transducer: 1.25" × 2.4" (3.2cm × 6.1cm) Folded Motion XT Transducer with 4.5" x 2.75" (11.4cm × 7cm) diaphragm
- Mid Frequency Transducer: 6.5” (16.5cm) aluminum cone with cast polymer basket. Sealed chamber format. Rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up modes.
- Low Frequency Transducer: Two 8” (20.3cm) aluminum cone with cast aluminum basket. Non-resonant asymmetrical chamber format. Rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up modes.
- Components: Custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors. Polypropylene film capacitors in series and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel. Tweeter thermal/current protection.
- Inputs: Custom 5-way bi-wire tool-less binding posts
- Weight: 66 lbs. (30 kg)
- Dimensions: 48" x 11.4" x 14.4" (121.8cm x 29cm x 36.6cm)