As TVs become impossibly thin – and sound quality gets even leaner – there’s never been a better time for a home theatre system that sounds sensational but is also simple to use. Music is at the heart of Cambridge Audio and this all new AV Receiver is designed to deliver sound that’s in every way as epic as the picture quality from your movies, music and TV shows. So, as well as all the latest processing features you’d expect, the 551R's ability to reproduce music with incredible richness and authority really separates it from the herd.
A staggering 110 Watts of power is achieved by combining Cambridge Audio’s audio design expertise and the choicest selection of audiophile components. From an all-metal and surprisingly compact design, the 551R features a multitude of connections and is guaranteed to revolutionize the audio potential of Blu-ray players, video streamers, satellite boxes, iPod docks, games consoles and of course hi-fi source components.
The 551R was created at Cambridge Audio’s Research and Development Centre on London’s Southbank by a team with an uncontested passion for making music sound sensational. The 551R offers everything you could need in a home cinema receiver from a surprisingly compact chassis. Delivering truly great sound as well as all the latest processing features is the ultimate test of any home cinema receiver and its ability to reproduce music with such richness and authority is what really separates the 551R from the competition. With seven 110 watts capable channels (measured at 6 ohms) the 551R delivers movie soundtracks, TV and music with power, punch and superb dynamics.
Seven discrete amplifiers driven by a low-flux toroidal transformer are separated from the processing and input stages guaranteeing performance without compromise. And because typical set-ups now include a multitude of sources with digital audio connections, special attention has been given to the 551R’s digital to analogue conversion process thus giving it the ability to maximize the audio potential of every connected digital device such as Blu-ray players, satellite boxes, iPod docks, games consoles and more.
Processing tour de force
And while musical performance is at the heart of the 551R, it also offers all the latest processing technologies to excite the most avid home cinema enthusiast including the most current Cirrus Logic DSPs and support for the latest CODECs such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. Meanwhile, a Faroudja 1080p video scaler vastly improves performance from lower resolution TV broadcasts and DVDs as well as transcoding analogue video inputs to the digital domain for simpler and neater connection to the TV using just one HDMI cable.
The 551R boasts four HMDI inputs and a single HDMI output which fully supports 3DTV/Deep colour pass-through and Audio Return from newer digital TVs. It also features a wide selection of analogue video connections (ready for transcoding), four digital audio connections and a total of six analogue audio inputs. Furthermore, the 551R includes a host of processing and adjustment features to get the most from every multi-channel movie soundtrack. These include full individual crossover adjustment and bass management, lip sync adjustment, Dolby Dynamic range control and DTS-HD speaker re-map (these features are explained in greater detail below).
Ease of set-up
AVRs typically have a habit of causing much head scratching but the 551R has been designed to ensure simple set-up and ease of use for all the family. Cambridge Audio’s Microphone Controlled Auto Set-up (CAMCAS) tailors the 551R’s performance to any room and comes complete with a microphone to complete this simple procedure. Day to day operation is equally straightforward from either the clear front panel controls or the supplied remote.
Clever cooling = compact design
But perhaps the most surprising feature of the 551R is its diminutive size - made possible thanks to a unique cooling design system called X-Tract™. A perfectly balanced combination of forced cooling and natural convection effectively draws heat away from the substantial transformer and output stages and means the 551R can operate extremely quietly, at a low temperature and enables a more compact enclosure than would normally be possible for such a powerhouse.
- 4 HDMI in, 1 out with support for 3D TV / Deep colour pass thru / Audio Return Channel reception
- Faroudja FLI2310 video scaler for upscaling and analog to digital video transcoding/scaling (composite, S-video and component video to HDMI)
- Scaler bypass mode – allows user to engage/disengage video scaler for each input as appropriate
- Oversize low flux toroidal transformer and discrete amplifiers delivering ultra-low noise and distortion
- Cirrus Logic dual 32-bit DSPs for compatibility with the latest CODECs including Dolby Digital Plus, DTS- HD High Resolution and the Lossless Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats
- Pure Analogue Stereo Direct mode for audiophile playback of analogue stereo sources
- Individual Crossovers and Advanced Bass Management
- Cambridge Audio Mic Controlled Auto Set-up (CAMCAS) with microphone supplied
- Full 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analogue inputs and preamp outputs
- Adjustable lipsync delay per source
- DTS Speaker re-mapping allows the playback of DTS-HD High Resolution or Master Audio formats with encoded height information on standard 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setups
- Bi-amp mode for front left/right with surround back left/right in 5.1 set-up
- X-Tract™ Forced/Convection Heat Tunnel for virtually silent performance
- FM/AM tuner
- RS232 control, IR Emitter Input
- Low resonance, acoustically damped full metal chassis
- Navigator style Azur remote control
- Also controllable from 651BD/751BD remote
- Slim, aesthetic design – only 110mm (4.3’’) tall
- Available in Black or Silver finishes
- Power output: 110W RMS per channel, into 6 Ohms (two channels driven), 90W RMS per channel, 8 Ohms (2 channels driven)
- Audio Inputs 6 x Line Level Analogue Tuner AM/FM, 7.1 Analogue Input 4 x Digital Co-axial, 4 Digital Optical
- Video Inputs 2 x Composite, 2 x S-Video, 2 x Component Video, 4 x HDMI
- Audio Outputs 7 x Amplified Speaker Outputs 7.1 x Preamp Outputs
- Video Output 1 x HDMI
- Recording Audio Outputs 1 x Line Level Analogue, 1 x Digital Co-Axial, 1 x Digital Optical
- Other connections 1 x ¼" / 6.35mm Headphone Output (32 To 600 ohms recommended), 1 x IR Emitter, 1 x RS232C, 1 x IEC type mains inlet
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 430 x 100 x 340mm (16.9 x.4.3 x 13.3'')
- Weight: 10.0Kg (22lbs)