Nothing prepares you for the sound quality of Cambridge Audio's 851A. Rated at 120 Watts per channel and built with a fastidious attention to detail, it presents your music with astounding depth and incredible clarity. The precision volume control provides remarkable stereo separation, while the overall effect is to give your music collection a new lease of life.
Class XD + Two Transformers
Rather than use Class A or Class AB amplifier designs, Cambridge Audio developed a novel and unique new design called Class XD, which combines the sonic purity of Class A and the efficiency of Class AB for the best possible result. For more info on this patented technology
The primary toroidal transformer provides unrestricted power to the dual mono amplification blocks. It’s a true audiophile transformer that will operate without distortion and with no buzz, interference or hum. While a second, smaller toroidal transformer takes care of pre-amplification processes.
A Host of Inputs
The 851A features a host of inputs for connection of all the latest entertainment sources. The amp has sources labeled 1 through 7, plus record-in and record-out (labeled 'In8/Tape' on the remote); two of those source inputs can be either balanced or RCA, the other six are RCA. The fully balanced XLR inputs offer the highest quality connection and are perfect for the matching 851C (DAC, preamplifier and CD player), Stream Magic 6 (network music player) or DacMagic Plus (DAC). The RCA inputs are ideal for connecting other devices like tuners, phono stages, or recording devices.
CAP5 Protection System
To protect the 851A from the rigors of real world use, Cambridge Audio has developed an even more advanced version of its proprietary CAP5 protection system. CAP5 prevents potential disasters from causing damage to the amplifier and connected components by performing diagnostics during power-up and usage.
Over current/over voltage protection protects speakers from being driven too hard. Temperature protection is provided in case of inadequate ventilation or air circulation in humid environments. DC Detect protects against the most common user errors in set-up. Short circuits runs a check on power-up to detect incorrectly connected speakers. Clipping gently nudges the volume down if the 851A is driven too hard and distortion is detected.
Available in Black or Silver Finish.
- Power output: 120W RMS into 8 Ohms / 200W RMS into 4 Ohms 200W RMS into 4 Ohms
- THD (unweighted): < 0.001% 1 kHz at 80% of rated power; < 0.01% 20 Hz - 20 kHz at 80% of rated power
- Frequency response: 10 Hz - 50 kHz +/- 1 dB
- S/N ratio (ref 1W/8 Ohm): > 93 dB
- Input impedances: Inputs 1 and 2 (balanced) 20 kOhm; Inputs 1-7 unbalanced 20 kOhm; Rec Input 20 kOhm
- Power Amp damping factor: > 110 at 1 kHz
- Max. power consumption: 800W
- Minimum power consumption: Active (no signal) 70W
- Standby power consumption: Standby <0.5W
- Bass/treble controls: Shelving type; Max bass boost/cut +/- 10 dB at 10 Hz; Max treble boost/cut +/- 7.5 dB at 20 kHz
- Dimensions: 16.9" wide, 4.5" high, 15.2" deep
- Weight: 33 lbs/15 kgs.